Entered onto the National Register of Historic Places on June 20, 1995, Saint Saviour’s Episcopal Church and Rectory possesses two categorical features of historic significance. The first is its architectural and artistic history distinctive to the area, and the second is its relationship to the larger area’s religious development .
Saint Saviour’s was constructed in phases beginning in 1877 with the architect C.C. Haight of New York , and the property eventually included the church, rectory, parish house, and receiving tomb. Though one local writer observed, “Almost every summer colony in Maine contains an Episcopal summer chapel, often designed by one of the great architects of the day,” because of the multiple construction phases, there are many architects engrained into this church even though it largely exhibits Queen Anne and Gothic architectural styles . Of the many distinctive features of Saint Saviour’s, one of its most notable are the over 30 stained glass windows. The windows were donated by various summer residents and created by multiple artists over time, including a dozen created by the world-renowned artist Louis Comfort Tiffany . Tiffany is best known for his work with opalescent glass at a time when many stained glass artists followed the traditional method of painting on clear glass .
As for Saint Saviour’s relationship to religion on Mount Desert Island, it appears that most episcopal churches on the island grew from the original Saint Savior’s congregation . The congregation formed in 1870 under the guidance of the bishop of Maine; from that congregation, vacationing clergy and summer residents branched out and supported the building of multiple churches, including the Church of Our Father in nearby Hulls Cove .
By Marisa Higgins
 National Register of Historic Places. Saint Savior’s Episcopal Church and Rectory, Bar Harbor, Maine. National Register #95000729.
 “Shingle Chapel.” The Downeast Dilettante: Tales & Opinions From Maine Regarding Architecture, Art, Books, Design, Landscape, & Occasional Whims. April 10, 2012. http://thedowneastdilettante.blogspot.com/2012/04/almost-every-summer-colony-in-maine.html.
 Register #95000729.
 Register #95000729; Richman, Jeff. “Tiffany Windows in Maine.” Green-Wood Historian Blog. September 23, 2010. http://www.green-wood.com/2010/tiffany-windows-maine/.
 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. “Louis Comfort Tiffany (1843-1933).” Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. Accessed November 30, 2015. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/tiff/hd_tiff.htm; “Louis Comfort Tiffany.” The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art. Accessed November 23, 2015. http://www.morsemuseum.org/louis-comfort-tiffany.
 Garrett, Rev. Edwin Atlee, III, Th.M.. “The Episcopal Church Come to Mount Desert Island.” The History Journal of the Mount Desert Island Historical Society. 3 (2000): 23. http://mdihistory.org/chebacco-magazine/2000-2/.
Garrett 2000; Register #95000729; National Register of Historic Places. Church of Our Father, Hulls Cove, Maine. National Register #9900070.